I Like The Quiet of a Lenten Social Media Fast, But I Miss The Stories About Calvinist Dogs

For the record, I shut down my social media for Lent. But I still have some social media lingering out there.

Specifically, I manage the Twitter/Facebook pages for both my department and for the undergraduate conference that I organize.

Is this cheating? No. Of course not. It's not cheating because I'm making the rules here.


Anyway...

I do think that I am keeping the spirit of my social media fast because neither of these things consume much time. I only go to these pages when I have something to post--an announcement or relevant news story.

All of this is a way of saying 2 contradictory things. First, disconnecting from my social media has been good for my mental health. After a couple of days of withdrawal, I have reminded myself of the glorious silence of a world without the CONSTANT SCREAMING OF THIS TWEET OR THAT FACEBOOK POST!

At the same time, I miss seeing posts like this one (which I saw while "checking" my conference Twitter account)...



 It concludes....
According to witnesses, the dog went on to lecture his owner for several minutes, stressing how easy it is to forget who we really are in light of God’s blinding holiness and our desperately fallen nature. 
"Do not call me a good boy—I am a depraved wretch," he added before picking up his stick and continuing to play.

Well done, Babylon Bee. I look forward to clicking through your Twitter feed more frequently when Easter arrives.

Comments